Friday, October 15, 2010

When Your Period Comes

l'endormie (Faust)

"Vous qui faites l'endormie," Mephistopheles's aria from Gounod's Faust . Mephistopheles sings a mocking serenade outside Marguerite's house.






You who made the sleepy You Who Pretend To Be asleep,
Do not you hear, do you not hear,
Catherine O, my dear, Catherine O, my sweetheart ,
My voice and my steps? ... my voice and my footsteps?
So your lover calls you, your work Thus suitor calls you,
And your heart in the thought! ... your heart and trust him!
Do not open the door, my beautiful, Do not Open the Door, my beauty,
That ring on her finger. Until The Ring Is On your finger.
I love Catherine, Catherine Whom I adore
Why deny Why refuses
A lover who implores you The Lover Who to implore you
A sweet kiss? Such A sweet kiss?
So your lover beg your suitor work Thus beseeches you
And your heart in the thought! ... and your heart trusts him!
Ne donne un baiser, ma mie, Don't give a kiss, my sweetheart,
Que la bague au doigt! ... until the ring is on your finger!



This entry was originally posted at http://opera-cat.dreamwidth.org/13601.html . There are comment count unavailable comments on Dreamwidth. LiveJournal users may comment there using OpenID.

0 comments:

Post a Comment