Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Nail Designs/rasta Sets

Dieu, tu semas dans nos Ames (duet from Don Carlos)

Verdi's opera Don Carlos was originally performed in French, but is better known in its Italian version, Don Carlo . This time, I have chosen to translate the French version of this duet, in which Rodrigue tries to console his friend Don Carlos for the arranged marriage of his beloved Elisabeth to Carlos's father King Philip. The two men swear eternal brotherhood and devotion to the cause of liberty. The Italian version is "Dio, che nell'alma infondere." In my opinion, this duet deserves to be better known. It may well be the most beautiful tenor/baritone duet I am familiar with, the only rival being "Au fond du temple saint" from Bizet's The Pearl Fishers .

I have omitted some background lines sung by the chorus and the Monk.







DON CARLOS ET RODRIGUE DON CARLOS AND RODRIGUE
God, you SEMAS in our souls God, you Scattered in our souls
A ray of the same flames, a gleam of The Same fires,
the same love exalted, exalted The Same Love,
The love of liberty! the love of liberty!
God, our hearts sincere God, Who of Our sincere hearts
Ace made the hearts of two brothers, has made The Hearts of Two Brothers
Accepts our oath! Receive Our vow!
We die loving us! We Will Die Loving Each Other!
Ah! God, you SEMAS in our souls, etc.. Ah! God, you Scattered in our souls, etc..
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
are! Here They Are!
DON CARLOS DON CARLOS
I shudder! I am dying at the sight! I tremble! I am dying At The sight of her!
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
Courage! Have courage!
DON CARLOS DON CARLOS
It is his, great God! She Is His , great God!
I 've lost! I Have lost her!
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
Come near me Come near me
your heart will be stronger! your heart will be strong!
AND DON CARLOS DON CARLOS RODRIGUE AND RODRIGUE
Let us be united for life and death! Let Us Be united in life and death!
Dieu accepte notre serment God, receive our vow
De mourir en nous aimant! to die loving each other!
Soyons unis pour la vie et la mort! Let us be united in life and death!
Liberté! Liberty!



This entry was originally posted at http://opera-cat.dreamwidth.org/12269.html . There are comment count unavailable comments on Dreamwidth. LiveJournal users may comment there using OpenID.

0 comments:

Post a Comment