Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Suggestions For A Hedgehog Cage

Dio che vedi in core Wed (Anna Bolena)

"God, you see me in my heart... On her head... Go, miserable," soprano / mezzo-soprano duet from Act II of Gaetano Donizetti's opera Anna Bolena (Anne Boleyn).

Henry VIII of England divorced His first wife, Catherine of Aragon, in order to marry Anne Boleyn. When Anne did not bear a son HIM, Accused her of adultery and he HAD her Executed know That Could he marry for a third time. In this scene, we see a dramatic version of The Confrontation Between Anne (Anna) and her attendant Jane Seymour (Giovanna), soon to replace her as queen.










ANNA ANNE rigor unhappy ANNA ANNE In JANE


ANNA ANNE
[raises his hands to heaven bows down and says.] [She raises her hands to heaven, kneels and speaks.]
God I see in my heart, God who seest into my heart,
I turn to you, O God ... I turn to thee, or God. . .
Se meritai quest'onta giudica tu. Judge thou if I have deserved this shame.
[siede e piange] [She sits and weeps.]
   
GIOVANNA JANE
(Piange l'afflitta... (She is weeping in distress . . .
Ahi! come ne sosterrò lo sguardo?) Alas! How will I meet her eyes?)
   
Ah! yes, the troubles of the unhappy Aragonese Ah, yes: the sufferings of the unfortunate woman of Aragon
not be unnecessarily Denno, must not go unavenged,
and me terrible pain and terrible punishment for me
your destination ... severity thy decrees. . .
But it is too terrible ... too ... But it is too terrible, too terrible. . .
GIOVANNA JANE
[draws near tears, kneels at her feet, and kisses her hand] [She Approaches in tears, she kneels at the Queen's feet and kisses her hand]
O my Queen! Oh, my Queen!
ANNA ANNE
Seymour! ... Return to me! ... Seymour! You return to me!
I obbliasti you? ... Arise ... You Have not forgotten me? . . . Rise.
What do I see? Pale! Tremble? ... What do I see? You turn blades! You are Trembling?
new misfortune to me you might go? Do you bring me new misfortune, Perhaps?
JANE GIOVANNA
Horrible ... Extreme! ... Dreadful. . . Fatal!
Joy can I go? Can I bring you joy?
Ah ... no ... m'udite. Ah! no. . . hear me.
These plots are hatched, that you are lost. Have Been Such plots woven, That you are lost.
at all costs does Franti King At Any Cost The King wants to sever
's unfortunate nodes that you cling to him ... the bonds That tie you to HIM. . .
life at least, if not the royal name, Your life at least, if not your royal name,
life at least, ah! you save! ah! save your life at least!
How? Explained. And how? Explain.
JANE GIOVANNA
I tremble to say it, but I must say. Saying In it, I tremble, yet I must say it.
The reaction confess, the King will melt Confessing yourself guilty Separates you from the King
and will evade death. and rescues you from death.
ANNA ANNE
What did you say? What are you Saying?
JANE GIOVANNA
The fate that pursues, pursues The Which do you
other half does not let you escape. does not leave you Another way of escape.
ANNA ANNE
and counsel you mel? And can you advise me to do it?
You, my Seymour! You, my Seymour!
JANE GIOVANNA
Oh, for pity's sake. Please, in mercy's name.
ANNA ANNA
shame that I buy with my life? That I buy my life with infamy?
Seymour And you, you can counsel mel? And you, Seymour, can you advise me to do it?
JANE GIOVANNA
And infamy and death, will you? Do you want Both infamy and death?
Regina, oh heavens, give in! My Queen, oh heaven, give in!
There advises the King .. The King advises you know. . .
I conjure the wretched and she begs you know, the ill-fated woman
the love of Henry that he intended the throne. Whom Henry's love has Destined for the throne.
ANNA ANNE
Oh! Who is she? You know? Speech. Oh! Who is she? Do you know her? Speak.
ell'ebbe You dare to recommend a cowardice? ... She Had the boldness to advise me to action-based?
his cowardice to the Queen! ... A basic action, to her Queen!
speaks: who is she? Speak: who is she?
JANE GIOVANNA
[sobbing] unhappy. [with a sob] An unhappy woman.
ANNA ANNE
And face this myself. And I know she has made me.
burdens on his head a God Upon her head May God make Heavier
punishing his arm. His avenging arm.
JANE GIOVANNA
Ah! He listens. Please! Listen to me.
ANNA ANNE
In my par, As much as mine,
is the vile broken his heart. May be tormented her vile heart.
JANE GIOVANNA
Ah! forgiveness! Ah! Pardon!
ANNA ANNE
Both aspired to the crown of thorns horsehair. May the longed-for turn to thorns crown upon her brow.
JANE GIOVANNA
Forgive me! Play. Ah! hear me out of pity. Pardon! Listen. Please! In mercy's name listen to me.
ANNA ANNE
[with growing fury. Joan gradually loses its way] [with growing fury. Gradually Jane Becomes Overwhelmed]
on the pillow of the royal bed Upon the pillow of the royal bed
both the theme and suspicion ... be fear and suspicion.
Among her debts and her husband guilty Between her and her husband guilty May there rise
my menacing specter ... my threatening specter.
It was granted me the ax, the ax Granted And to me,
more cruel, to deny the King the King May, more cruel, deny it to her.
GIOVANNA
(Ria sentence! I die ...) (A bitter sentence! I am dying...)
Ah! ceases, ah! stop, please! Ah, stop, please stop, in mercy's name!
[bowing and clasping his knees to Anna] [kneeling and embracing Anne's knees]
ANNA ANNE
You! ... I listen to! You! . . . What do I hear!
JANE GIOVANNA
Ah ... yes, prostrate at your feet is the traitor. Ah! Yes, the traitress is kneeling at your feet.
ANNA ANNE
My rival !!... My rival!
JANE GIOVANNA
But tormented by guilt ... and unhappy. But Tortured by remorse, and unhappy.
ANNA ANNE
You! Escape ... Flee ... You! Begone. . . begonias.
JANE GIOVANNA
Ah! forgiveness. Ah! Pardon.
ANNA ANNE
You! My rival! God! You! My rival! God!
You? you? Seymour? My rival! You? You, Seymour? My rival!
JANE GIOVANNA
Ah! no: forgiveness Ah, no! Pardon:
from my heart I'm punished. I am punished by my own heart.
[with growing passion. Anna gradually softens] [with growing emotion. Gradually Anne relents]
Inexperienced ... flattered ... Inexperienced. . . deceived. . .
I was seduced. . . I was Seduced. . .
ANNA ANNE
Ella! my rival! Ah! she! God! Her! My rival! God!
JANE GIOVANNA
I love Henry, and I blush ... I love Henry, and I am ashamed of it. . .
My punishment is this love ... This love is my punishment.
ANNA ANNE
Escape! Begone!
JANE GIOVANNA
moan and cry, and my tears I sigh and weep, and tears by my
suffocated love is not . love is not extinguished.
ANNA ANNE
Arise! ... Ah! Arise ... He deserves only Rise! Ah, he laughed! He alone is guilty
who lit this flame in you. Such who kindled a flame in you.
[the rises and embraces her] [She raises Jane and Embraces her.]
It ', unhappy, and shall bear thee Go, unhappy woman, and take with you
forgiveness Boleyn: Boleyn's pardon:
in my grief and blind rage and blind raging in my grief,
t'imprecai terrible suffering ... Invoked The terrible punishment upon you. . . Your
I ask God or grace, Now I ask God's grace for you,
and will be granted to me. and It Will Be Granted to me.
you stay in this farewell Let Remain for you in this farewell
my love, my pity. my love and my pity.
JANE GIOVANNA
Ah! lose is your worst Ah! Your pardon is worse
of anger I feared, Than Which I feared the scorn,
punisher leave me a throne you leave me a throne to punish me
which I am guilty of the crime. for the crime of Which I am guilty.
there waiting for me a just God, a just God There Awaits me,
that no pardon for me. who has no pardon for me.
Ah! Primiero is this embrace Ah! This embrace is the first
de 'torments that gives me. of the torments He gives me.
   
[Anna rientra nelle sue stanze. Giovanna parte afflittissima.] [Anne retires into her rooms. Jane leaves in the greatest distress.]



This entry was originally posted at http://opera-cat.dreamwidth.org/12521.html . There are comment count unavailable comments on Dreamwidth. LiveJournal users may comment there using OpenID.

0 comments:

Post a Comment