Monday, October 4, 2010

Fedex Stop Delivery Vacation

The deadline to (The Flying Dutchman) Que se passe-t

"The time limit is up," the Dutchman's opening monologue from Wagner's The Flying Dutchman (The Flying Dutchman). This is one of my favorite pieces of opera in existence. Listen to it, if you have not.

Thanks to my many excellent friends who discussed aspects of the translation with me. Any remaining mistakes and infelicities are entirely mine.


The Dutchman: The Dutchman :
The period is up, and once passed, seven year '. The term is up, and once more seven years have elapsed.
full weariness throws me to the sea shore. Full of weariness, the sea casts me up onto land.
Ha! Ocean proud! In a short period you should take me back! Ha! proud ocean! In a short time you shall bear me again!
your spite is amazing flexibility, but my eternal torment! Your defiance is changeable, but is my eternal suffering!
Salvation, the search for the country I never'll find me there! Salvation, which i seek on land, I will never find it!
you, the ocean's waves, I will stay true to I remain true to you, tides of the world-sea,
until your last wave breaks, and your last wet dry up! last until your last wave breaks and your moisture runs dry!
How often in such deep throat How often into the sea's deepest abyss
crashes I longingly me down, I have hurled myself down , full of longing,
but alas! death, I could not find him! but alas! my death, I found it not!
As in the Ships terribly grave, There, where is the fearful grave of ships,
drove my I ship to the cliff base, I drove my ship onto the rocks,
but alas! my grave, it did not rule it! but alas! my grave, it did not close!
threatens deriding I the pirates, Taunting, I threatened the pirate,
hopes in a wild fight, I kill: in fierce battle I hoped for death:
"Here "I cried," show your deeds! "Here," I cried, "show your exploits!
full of treasures, a ship and boat! " The ship and boat are full of treasure! "
But alas, the sea's son barbar'scher But alas! the sea's savage but
beats bang 'the cross, fled it! signed the cross in fear and fled away!
How often in such deep throat How often into the sea's deepest abyss
I crashed down longingly me have I hurled myself down, full of longing!
As in the Ships terribly grave, There, where is the fearful grave of ships,
I drove my boat to the cliff base. I drove my ship onto the rocks.
There was not a grave! Not death! Nowhere a grave! Never death!
This fear of damnation bid. This is damnation's terrible decree.
I ask you, gepries'ner angel of God, I ask you, blessed angel of God,
of my medical condition's won me: who won for me the condition of my salvation:
I was Wretched Plaything of thy scorn, what I, accursed, the toy of your mockery,
as the salvation you showed me in? when you showed me the way to redemption?
Vergeb'ne hope! Terribly vain delusion! Vain hope! Fearful, empty illusion!
To eternal faithfulness on earth - has done it! Eternal faithfulness on earth - is finished! should
only one hope left me Only one hope shall remain to me,
only one stand all unshaken: Unshaken only one shall stand:
so long as the earth germ 'drive also however long the earth pushes forth shoots,
they must but underlying geh'n! yet it must fall in ruins!
Day of Judgement! Judgement Day! Day of Judgement! Last day!
When you break into my night? When will you break upon my night?
When he roars, the destruction shock, When does it crash, the annihilating blow, collapses
with the world? by Which the world cracks all at once? rise again
When all the dead, When all the dead rise again,
I will vergeh'n into nothingness. then I will pass away into nothingness.
your world ends, your course! Ye worlds, end your course!
eternal destruction, take me on! Eternal annihilation, receive me!
Chorus of the Dutchman's Sailors: the Dutchman's Chorus of Sailors:
eternal destruction, take us on! Eternal annihilation, receive us!


This entry was originally posted at http://opera-cat.dreamwidth.org/11648.html . There are comments on comment count unavailable Dreamwidth. LiveJournal users may comment there using OpenID.

0 comments:

Post a Comment