Sunday, September 19, 2010

Team Slogans For Lacrosse

Ave Signor (Mefistofele)

"Ave Signor," Mefistofele's first aria from Boito's opera Mefistofele . The Prologue of the opera takes place in heaven. In this aria, Mephistopheles (the Devil) shows up to mock God, the heavenly hosts, and humanity. Thanks to the people at [info] linguaphiles for helping me figure out a tricky bit of grammar. As always, any remaining mistakes are entirely mine.




Ave Signor. Hail, Lord.
Perdona se il mio gergo Pardon me if my jargon
It leaves a bit 'from behind falls a little behind
The Supreme Tivat of paradise; the supreme songs of praise of Paradise;
Forgive me if my face pardon me if my face
It brings the beam Does not Have the radiance
That garlanded garlands horsehair That locks the
senior cherubim cherubim of the high ;
Forgive me if saying pardon me if in speaking
I run the risk I run a risk
a buscar some hisses. burdens of getting boos .*
The tiny land of God piccin The little god of the earth little
degenerate and wanders evermore, Continually degenerates and goes astray,
E, at par with cricket and, like a cricket
leaping, hopping randomly, by chance
between the stars pushes the nose, His nose pokes Among the stars,
Then with tenacious fatuity superb then with stubborn proud fatuousness
makes her trill in the grass. Makes His Trilling in the grass.
arrogant dust! Atom arrogance! Arrogant dust! Atom saucy!
A fancy man! Delusion of man!
And this is the Makes And he so much of
Quell'ebbra illusion That drunkard's illusion
Che'egli name: Reason, Reason. Which he calls Reason, Reason.
Ah! Yes, Divine Master, Ah! Yes, Divine Master,
In the dark background to the dark bottom
the master of the world collapses, tumbles the master of the world,
And it gives me more heart , and I No Longer Have The Heart -
Tant 'is weakened, he is so worn down -
to tempt him to evil. HIM to tempt to evil.



* Literally "whistling"

0 comments:

Post a Comment