Friday, November 5, 2010

Can I Get Herpes On Stomach Rare?

Restez! (Don Carlos)

It looks like I won't be able to keep up the pace of a post every day, after all. Some scenes (like this one) are longer and more complicated and so take more time. Thanks to the commenters at [info] linguaphiles and my mother for helping me with some confusing bits. As always, any remaining mistakes are entirely mine.

Giuseppe Verdi's opera Don Carlos , first set to a French libretto in 1867, is more commonly performed in its revised Italian version, Don Carlo . In this powerful scene for bass and baritone, King Philip II of Spain (Philippe) questions Rodrigo (Rodrigue), the idealistic Marquis of Posa, and gets more than he bargained for.


God has willed sincere




PHILIPPE PHILIPPE




PHILIPPE [Rodrigue will come out] PHILIPPE [to Rodrigue, Who is about to leave]
Stay! Remain!
[Rodrigue stops, bows on one knee before the King, then goes to him and covers himself with no sort of embarrassment. ] [Rodrigue stops, one bows one knee Before the King, Then and Approaches HIM donations history "any kind of hat Without self-consciousness.]
Near my person To my presence
why he never asked to be admitted? Why Have You Never Asked to Be Admitted?
I like to reward those who are my friends; I like to reward Those Who are my friends;
you, I know, well served my crown. . . you have, I know, my crown Served well.
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
What could I envy the favor of kings, What Could I desire from royal favor,
sire? I saw happy, protected by our laws. sire? I live happily, protected by o Laws.
PHILIPPE PHILIPPE
I very proud. . . I forgive the audacity. . . I love Pride. . . I forgive boldness. . .
sometimes. . . You have forsaken my flags, Sometimes. . . Have you left my banners,
and people like you, men of noble race, and people like you, soldiers of noble family,
never liked the rest. . . Have never loved idleness. . .
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
For my country, of a noble blood soaked, For my country, wet With noble blood,
my twenty épéea once shone out of the sheath. my sword has flashed out of twenty times icts scabbard.
That Spain order. . . and I take the sword. . . Let Spain command. . . and I take up The Sword again. . .
but others carry the hatchet man! to let Others wield The Executioner's axis!
PHILIPPE PHILIPPE
Marquis! Marquis!
RODRIGUE [vehemently] RODRIGUE [fervently]
deign to hear me, sir! since the accident. . . deign to hear me, sir! Since luck. . .
because God wanted this day in front of you this day to lead me
lead me. The designs of providence, Before You. The designs of Providence
not get me in vain put in your presence: Will not Have Sent Me Into Your presence in vain
someday. . . you will know the truth! one day. . . You Will Come To Know the Truth!
PHILIPPE PHILIPPE
Talk! Speak!
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
O King! I come from Flanders, the country once so beautiful! O King! I Have just arrived from Flanders, That country ounces so beautiful!
This is a desert of ashes, a place of horror, a grave! It Is No More Than a desert of ashes, a place of horror, a tomb!
Here, the orphan who begs and cries for roads, There, The Orphan and begs Who Weeps Through the streets,
falls, while fleeing the fire, on human bones! Fleeing from the Fire Human Remains falls over!
red blood river water, they roll, dead loads; Blood redden the Water of the Rivers, They flow burdened with corpses;
l'air et plein des cris des veuves sur leurs époux égorgés! the air is full of widows' wailing over their slaughtered husbands!
Ah! la main de Dieu soit bénie, qui fait entendre par moi Ah! Blessed be the hand of God, who makes heard through me
le glas de cette agonie à la justice du Roi! the knell of this agony to the King's justice!
   
PHILIPPE PHILIPPE
bloody price that I paid the peace; At this bloody price, I Have Bought the Peace of the World;
my lightning struck the pride of innovative My thunderbolt has Struck Down The Pride Of The innovators,
that will plunge the people into liars dreams. . . The People Who Go Into plunging lying dreams. . .
Death in my hands can become fertile! Death, in my hands, can Become rich!
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
No! in vain for your thunder rumbles! No! Your thunder Roars in vain!
Which arm has not stopped the march of humanity? What arm has ever halted the Advancement of Humanity?
PHILIPPE PHILIPPE
Mine! Mine!
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
A fiery blast passed over the earth! An ardent spirit Has Passed Across the earth!
He startled the whole of Europe! It has made shake all Europe!
God tells you His will. . . God Speaks His Will to you. . .
give your children the Liberty! Give Your Children Liberty!
What new language! Ever, to the throne, What new language! No one, near the Throne,
person raised his voice so loud. . . anyone! Ever Raised His Voice so boldly. . . No one!
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
Give Freedom! Give them Liberty!
PHILIPPE PHILIPPE
Je n'avais jamais écouté cette inconnue ayant pour nom: la Vérité! I have never heard this stranger whose name is Truth!
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
Dieu vous dicte sa volonté . . . donnez à vos enfants la Liberté! God speaks his will to you . . . give your children Liberty!
   
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
[Il se jette aux genoux du Roi.] [He falls to His knees Before the King.]
Sire! Sire! Sire! Sire!
PHILIPPE PHILIPPE
Not another word! . . . No more! . . .
[within Rodrigue] [raising Rodrigue to His Feet]
Get up! Your head is blonde, Rise! You are very naive,
that you invoke the ghost impostor to invoke a false phantom
before an old man, King of half the world. . . Before year old man, half King of the World. . .
Go and keep you in my Inquisitor! Go, and beware of my Inquisitor!
[Rodrigue bows and goes out. After some hesitation, Philip reminds strongly of a gesture.] [Rodrigue bows and starts to leave. After a moment of hesitation, Philip Call Him Back With A sharply gesture.]
PHILIPPE PHILIPPE
No. . . Moreover, child! I love your soul proud No. . . stay, my child! Proud I love your soul, *
mine to you will open a whole. and Begins to open mine to you completely.
You saw me in my throne, and not in my house! You Have Seen me upon my throne, and not in my Household!
Everything speaks of treason. There Everything Speak of betrayal.
The Queen. . . Torture me a hint! My son. . . The Queen. . . a suspicion torments me! My son. . .
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
His soul is noble and pure! His Soul Is noble and pure!
PHILIPPE PHILIPPE
Nothing under heaven is the good he has robbed me! . . . Nothing Under Heaven Is worth the treasure he has Robbed me of!
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
how dare you say? What are you daring to say?
PHILIPPE PHILIPPE
Ami, be our judge, will follow your advice. Friend, Be our Judge, Will Be Followed your advice.
Be my guide, my refuge. . . Be my guide, my refuge. . .
You are a man who alone among the human Who You are a man alone Amidst The human crowd,
I put my heart in thy fair hands! I wish to put my heart in your fair hands!
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
is a dream! It's a dream! It Is a Dream! It Is a Dream!
PHILIPPE PHILIPPE
Child! my desperate heart My child! To my distracted heart
realize peace long ago banished. restore peace has long Banished.
I find this blessed hour I find in this blessed hour
man had long been waiting for! the Man Long Awaited!
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
(What radius sky descended (What Descended from heaven ray
opens my heart this ruthless? opens to me this Pitiless heart?
I shudder stroke formidable I shudder At The fearsome thunderbolt
on Carlos already suspended.) Already Poised over Carlos.)
PHILIPPE PHILIPPE
I find this blessed hour I find in this blessed hour
man had long been waiting for! the Man Long Awaited!
PHILIPPE [at Lerma] PHILIPPE [to the Count of Lerma]
The Marquis of Posa can now enter From Now On, The Marquis of Posa May enter
to my person at all times, the palace! my presence "at any hour, in the Palace!
RODRIGUE RODRIGUE
(Mighty God, it's a dream I shudder for Carlos!) (Almighty God, It Is a Dream "I tremble for Carlos!)
PHILIPPE PHILIPPE
I feel blessed at this time the man had long been waiting for! There he is! I find in this blessed hour the Man Long Awaited! Behold him!


* Translator's note: At this point, the King exchange from formal to intimate speech.


This entry WAS Originally posted at http://opera-cat.dreamwidth.org/15085.html . There are comment count unavailable comments on Dreamwidth. LiveJournal users may comment there using OpenID.

0 comments:

Post a Comment